This video is one of AFN’s audience submissions. Gluten free and vegan brownies recipe using sunflower seeds, maple syrup and cocoa powder.
TOTAL TIME: 40 mins
150 g (5.29 oz) Sunflower seeds (not toasted)
½ cup (45 grams 1.5 oz) Cocoa powder + extra to dust
1 Pinch of salt
½ tsp Vanilla extract
150 g (5.29 oz) Maple syrup
⅓ cup (80 mL) Water
⅓ cup (53 grams 1.86 oz) Potato starch
1 tsp Baking powder
80 g (2.82 oz) Dairy free chocolate chips or chocolate chopped in small pieces
Coconut oil to grease the mould
- Preheat the oven to 180º/356F.
- Place the sunflower seeds in a food processor bowl and blend until you get a paste-like texture.
- Add the cocoa powder, the salt and the vanilla extract, blend again for 1 more minute.
- Add the maple syrup, and pulse for 1 minute, then add water and pulse again, stop when you get a very smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and sift over the potato flour and baking powder.
- Add now the chocolate chips and mix.
- Grease a small cake tin with coconut oil and dust with cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter into the mould and bake for around 30 minutes. It should be cooked when there’s a nice crusty layer on the top.
- Let it cool down completely before slicing.