This video is one of AFN’s audience submissions. This roast chicken and vegetables dish takes a while in the oven, but it’s super easy to prepare…and just wait till you see the look on people’s faces when they taste it!
This roast chicken and vegetables dish takes a while in the oven, but it’s super easy to prepare… and just wait till you see the look on people’s faces when they taste it!
Course: Main, Main Course
Cuisine: American, Canadian, International, North American, World
Servings: 6 to 8 people
- 2 (about 1.6 kg or 3.5 lbs each) butterflied whole chickens (watch the video in our story)
- 2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cups cremini mushroom, sliced
- 680 g or 1 1/2 lbs creamer potatoes (if you can’t find these, use other tiny potatoes with skin on)
- 2 + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp course sea salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp red pepper sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 + 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp flaked salt
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Place all the the veggies in a large roasting pan.
Add 2 tbsp olive oil, coarse sea salt, paprika, chili powder, red pepper sauce, lime juice and 1 tsp black pepper.
Using clean hands, mix everything inside the roasting pan until the ingredients are all coated.
Rub the chickens in the seasoned veggies until coated.
Even out the veggies on the bottom of the roasting pan and place the two chickens on top of the veggies side by side.
Drizzle remaining 2 tbsp olive evenly over the chickens.
Sprinkle the flaked salt and remaining 1 tsp black pepper evenly over the chickens.
Place the roasting pan in the oven on the middle rack and roast for 70 minutes at 350 ºF.
After 70 minutes, change the oven temperature to broil at 500 ºF for 10 to 15 minutes.
Check colour and doneness with a thermometer (165° Fahrenheit or 74° Celsius).
Take the pan out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes loosely covered with foil.
Sprinkle chopped parsley (or other favourite herms) over the chickens. Serve hot! Enjoy!
Cooked chicken’s internal temperature 165° Fahrenheit or 74° Celsius. Use an instant-read thermometer to determining the temperature of your chicken. You shouldn’t see pink at the bone and the juices should run clear.
See the full recipe here.